It has been hot here today with not a breath of breeze. We have not had a fan for about 18 months since the last one gave up but I may be forced to get another. Generally it is a little milder up here on the range but we have had a couple of quite hot days.

This afternoon I did some more work on my shirt. I now just have the buttons and buttonholes left to do. Buttonholes are so much easier to do with my new machine which I bought about 4 years ago since it does them automatically and the button dictates the length of the buttonhole so no more guesswork.

Apart from that I managed to go into town and get some meat, fruit and vegetables and a tin of Milo for G from the IGA. When I got to the checkouts it seemed busier than usual - chaos would have been an apt description. A few minutes later one of the senior staff at the express checkout announced that their eftpos system was 'down' and that people would have to pay cash but there was a functioning ATM in the front of the store. I had cash for my 1 item but was reminded of all the times that I only use a card and don't have cash in my wallet. I think that is about to change. I know it was hot and tempers probably a littled frayed but what astounded me was the reaction of several people to the fact that the system was not flowing as normal. One man was quite rude to a lady who had gone to get her cash and came back to pay. He made a snide comment about 'queue-jumpers'. It really does show the ugly side of human nature and gives a little insight into how ugly things could get if there really was a major systems failure such as with Hurricane Katrina.

The garden has been neglected in the heat but I have still managed to continue picking cucumbers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and the occasional strawberry. It is now 5 months since I started picking strawberries so they have done really well. Once we get the fencing done I will be moving the strawberries. The plan is to have them surrounding the blueberry bushes along the fence and be able to securely cover all of them from the marauding birds.


This entry was posted on 8:44 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: