I have spent most of the day in my sewing room today. I managed to finish the 2 shirts that I started the other day.

The project was not without its challenges. All was going smoothly until I found a bottle of Fray Stop in my newly tidied sewing room. I haven't used it for ages but decided to put it on the buttonholes before I cut them. I always did this previously but had forgotten recently. A drop got on the front of the pink line shirt so it was a bit of a panic to remove it. I managed to get it out successfully but isn't it always the way that it happens when you are sewing for someone else :(

I also made a pair of satin boxer PJ bottoms for my daughter as well in a fuschia colour. The fabric was leftover from the trim on her dressing gown that I made her for Christmas. I then went back to finish the second shirt (white linen) and was very careful when using the Fray Stop. I covered all of the garment apart from the buttonholes and set to work. However, I did not realise that that colour from the satin had stained my finger slightly and that combined with the Fray Stop left a small pink stain over the first buttonhole - I did say I had challenges!!

I soaked the shirt and got it clean but I must say today's creating was a bit traumatic! Luckily, not every day is like that and I will learn from my mistakes.

On a completely different design/creative theme I am starting to consider all the design aspects of my new kitchen. The builder came on yesterday with the final quote for some major building work. A lot of it is outside - concreting as well as re-cladding and insulating the outside walls but there is some internal projects. These include replacing 2 wardrobes and removing a wall between the kitchen and dining-room. Then we will be redoing the kitchen with a completely new configuration so it is time to put my thinking cap on and consider types of finishes, colour schemes, layout etc. This is a really exciting project because it although it is our 6th house it will be the first time I have had a real opportunity to set up the kitchen the way I want it rather than making do with what was already there. The kitchens I have worked with ranged from really good to downright terrible so I have some pretty clear ideas about what I do and do not want. The building work won't start until well into April so I have plenty of time. There will be more discussion and photos as the process unfolds.


This entry was posted on 9:51 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Oh Fairy the house project sounds very exciting. I hear you on the kitchen. This is our 3rd house over 30 years & I'm yet to have my own kitchen. One day if I'm very lucky, but as I get older it's not as important to me as I thought it was. Look forward to before & after photos.

    Possum.

  1. ... on Friday, 30 January, 2009