The bunya nuts have been boiled and about 2/3 dehusked, roasted and ground. I now have a 2 litre ice-cream container almost full of bunya nuts ground to a similar consistency to almond meal. This will be stored in the freezer until I use it.

The other 1/3 of the nuts did not get dehusked as it was a very tough assignment for my hands and I actually ended up with a huge blood blister on one thumb. So for the time being the rest are in a bag in the freezer.

It was really satisfying to see the container of finely crushed nuts that I had created completely from picking up the pine cones.


This entry was posted on 9:38 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    We have bunya pines in our local area but I never knew thay could be harvested. You are very resourceful Fairy. It's been long know to never park under a bunya as folks have returned to their cars to find the roof of the car caved in with a bunya cone sitting on it. Every now and then the council go around and remove the cones. i like the way your sdealing wiht them. I'll be interested to hear what you make.

    Possum.

  1. ... on Tuesday, 20 January, 2009  
  2. Anonymous said...

    Wow Fairy this is so interesting. I will have to show DH..had heard of bunya nuts but had no idea where they came from. Did you receive email with shirt photo? Not always sure if I have the screen names matched with the right people!!
    Barb
    PS Also amazed with the rubbish.

  3. ... on Tuesday, 20 January, 2009