Most of my lettuce seedlings appear to have survived the 40mm of rain we had yesterday/last night. After paying $2.45 for a lettuce the other day I realised I have a potential goldmine in the garden. I also noticed there is another bunch of bananas formed so on the weekend I will have to bag them or otherwise the wildlife have a free feed. The other job I did last weekend was to protect the fig tree from the marauding birds. I surrounded the whole tree with a roll of fine mesh wire which I actually bought to make a cage to grow potatoes. Since I won't be planting seed potatoes for a few months it can be used to protect the fig tree. I then threw some bird netting right over the top of the tree. It has certainly worked because the other day I picked 2 of the most luscious figs. They had fully ripened on the tree and were bursting with flavour. Can you tell I love figs?? The tree is only just over 12 months old and already about 2 metres high and a similar diameter. There are about another 10 figs so far that I have noticed so I will be watching them carefully.

Other news - the knitting is almost finished so am very pleased about that. The latest bulletin on Baby O is that she has a slight fever, snuffly nose and generally grumpy. C seems to think this is a precursor to the chickenpox spots appearing since it is similar symptoms to the beginning for the friend who has probably kindly shared his bug.


This entry was posted on 9:17 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Claire said...

    Congratulations on the figs, they are my favourite too. They are hard to find in Tassie but I enjoy them when I do.

  1. ... on Thursday, 19 February, 2009