As I write, another chapter in the book of Australia's extreme weather is about to be written.

Severe TC (tropical cyclone) Hamish is tracking south-east parallel to the north Queensland coast. The communities most at risk in the near future seem to be Mackay and the Whitsunday Islands. Some island resorts have already been evacuated.

Here, in the Sunshine Coast hinterland all appears to be 'normal'. A slightly overcast day but no wind or rain, however, I suspect that may change over the next 24 - 48 hours. Although we are not close to the coast we are on a fairly high, exposed ridge and often get quite strong winds from the coast.

Due to the possible deterioration of weather over the next few days we have made some preparations and will do more tomorrow. So far we have checked on the food stocks, plenty of matches, full gas bottle as well as torches and lanterns working. Tomorrow we will clear the loose furniture, pot plants, laundry trolley etc from the verandah. I also want to fill the 20 litre drum of water. We have our own tanks and certainly hope nothing catastrophic happens this far south but you can never be completely certain.

I decided not to get my hair cut today as on closer inspection it can wait another 2 weeks - or I may get it done on Wednesday if I have a day off.

Today we went to Brisbane to the exhibition which I mentioned in yesterday's post. It was well worth going and I would thoroughly recommend it. The exhibition is on until 19th April. While we were out we also went to Aldi and did some routine grocery shopping and replenished our stocks of food.

Tomorrow I need to go into Maleny to buy some specialty cheese and also some fruit and vegetables for the coming week and also for lunch as we have guests (my sister and her husband) coming for lunch. That will be my first failure in my No Spend Sunday challenge!! We are having Tasmanian Atlantic salmon with potatoes, Green Bean & Feta salad and minted cucumber. My sister is bringing dessert so that is a surprise.


This entry was posted on 9:13 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: