I have just arrived home from a trip into Maleny. I had my hair cut at the local barber shop, took a couple of items into the picture framer/gallery to have them framed, deposited some money in my savings account at the local community credit union, bought some fruit at the greengrocer, bought shampoo and body wash at the co-op, borrowed some books and magazines from the library and picked up a parcel from the post office.

I am pleased to be supporting local businesses and local jobs wherever possible. I think it is really important for us all to support and sustain each other within our communities.

While I was in the credit union I signed up for programme where the credit union round down your savings account at the end of each month and the "spare cents" are transferred into a community trust account. The maximum possible amount would be $11.88/year. This money is then distributed as grants to worthwhile community causes as decided on by a board of trustees. Th local IGA supermarket also has a Community Benefit Club where a 1% of the value of your purchases is donated to the group you nominate. Check the link for more detail about this great scheme.


This entry was posted on 4:58 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: