My last post about our trip was fairly brief so I will try to fill in a bit more detail this time.

We arrived in Tokyo quite late on Saturday evening, almost 2 weeks ago. We, is G and I as well as C, A and Baby O. Our accommodation has been hostels which have been very clean and the staff welcoming and helpful. We have travelled to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Kobe as well as day trips to Nara, Miyajima Island and Himeji.

Although I have enjoyed the trip, it has served to remind me of the saying, "There is no place like home". I have found the sheer numbers of people, buildings and 'stuff' quite overwhelming at times. My only other overseas travels have been to New Zealand (South Island) and Canada (west coast) where there are similar wide open spaces and some emphasis on the natural environment as we have in Australia. This appears to be completely missing in Japan and the whole culture revolves around the urban jungle and consumerism.

Any land that is not covered by buildings stacked cheek by jowl is under cultivation or covered with monculture plantation forests and high tension power lines. Apparently, of all of the thousands of streams and rivers in Japan there are only 3 that remain undammed. All of the watercourses which we have seen in towns and cities look more like canals due to the fact that they are all lined with stone walls and have innumerable weirs.

I have really struggled with the amount of stuff in the shops. I know that there are a lot more people in Japan than in Australia but I still fail to understand how so much 'stuff' can be consumed. Most of it is unnecessary - not things that are vital to life. However, I did buy some things while we were here - a new pair of good black shoes to replace the pair I have had for about 10 years, 2 silk scarves for gifts, 3 cotton cardigans, 4 tank tops and 4 pairs of socks for myself (all required) and a pair of trditional pyjamas for Baby O for her next birthday.

It was not all ugliness. The cherry blossom season has been at its peak for the last week in the areas where we have been and that has been a real delight. We have seen some ancient and extavagantly decorated shrines and temples. When we get home I will post some photos of stunning scenery.

Seeing the peace memorials and musuem which related to the atomic bombing of Hiroshima were very poignant indeed. In fact the whole trip was worth it just to spend a day reflecting and trying to understand the actions of that day in 1945.


This entry was posted on 6:44 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Fairy your trip sounds challenging & lovely all at once. I too have travelled to NZ & Canada & enjoyed both places but I know I would struggle to be out of my zone.

    I'm sorry you all got sick & I hope you all a speedy recovery. really looking forward to the pics.

    Poss.

  1. ... on Tuesday, 14 April, 2009  
  2. Anonymous said...

    Hi Fairy,

    so glad you're back & looking forward to hearing about the trip.

    Poss.

  3. ... on Friday, 17 April, 2009