It has been a few days since my last post. Yesterday was cold, grey and windy then we had 3mm rain early this morning. Still very windy - blowing from the south-east up the valley and quite cold for October in Queensland.

I have been picking lettuce each day for salads and sandwiches as well as more mulberries. Today I picked another bucket of avocadoes as well as a whole bok choy and some basil. I will use these with pumpkin and potato (previously harvested and currently stored on the verandah) to make Thai Red Pumpkin Curry for dinner. I will also make some basil pesto this afternoon.

Whilst strolling around the garden checking out everything I found 8 ripe cherry tomatoes (the first of the season) and also picked 7 blueberries. These are the first produce from my bushes that I planted 18 months ago. I ate one (taste testing is essential) and have put the others in a container in the freezer. I will add more as they ripen and I pick them so hopefully will have enough to have blueberry pancakes and muffins.

The snow peas seem to be struggling - I don't think they like the wind but everything else is doing well. The beetroot are growing nicely, there are a couple of zucchinis on the bushes so I will have to watch them so that they don't end up giant-sized. I am also watching the nectarines closely as some of them are now quite a good size and red but they are still firm at the moment.

When I was up the back picking the avocadoes I checked the bunch of bananas and a couple are just starting to colour so it won't be long and that will come down and get hung under the house to finish ripening. There was a pawpaw skin on the ground so obviously the possums/bats have had a snack. I don't mind too much since I picked 3 the other day. I must go and chop the last one up and make some fruit salad for dessert.

Away from food and on to other parts of the garden. There are several flowers on the roses - deep red one and also the yellow rose. This probably nothing to some of you but this is not really rose growing country so quite an achievement especially since we don't take a lot of care of them. Clumps of hippiastrums have appeared randomly through the garden - it is always a surprise when they appear. The clivea and also hibiscus are flowering, most of the azaleas are almost finished and the NSW Christmas bush is looking a treat - covered in white flowers and it won't be long until all the red foliage is out. The swamp cypress, liquidamber and cedar trees are all covered in new leaf. The cycles and renewal of the garden is a constant source of wonder and amazement to me.


This entry was posted on 12:05 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Dydee said...

    oohhh I am so jelous! Avocados and bananas!

    All looks fantastic!

  1. ... on Thursday, 18 October, 2007  
  2. this said...

    My cherry tomatoes are still green. How long will it take for them to turn red..if ever LOL.

  3. ... on Saturday, 20 October, 2007  
  4. thebutcherswife said...

    love your photo i have just found a red thaipumpkin curry recipe in a donna hay cookbook is this the same? if so is it nice i have an abundance of pumpkins so looking constantly for different recipes..
    you have very strong willpower not to eat your blueberries i have had a few ripen but eat them straight away

  5. ... on Thursday, 25 October, 2007  
  6. Anonymous said...

    Great work.

  7. ... on Wednesday, 12 November, 2008